Volume 44, No. 1 - January & February 2012
U.S. $7.50; Canada/Mexico Air $9.50; Foreign Air $10.50
- Grafting Apples for Africa
- Charles Lee’s story about devoting a few hours in a small shop to learning about grafting
low-chill apple varieties for eventual planting in African nations whetted our appetite to
know a little more. So we contacted Kevin Hauser, owner of Kuffel Creek Nursery, in the
hope that he might have a few photos to illustrate the story. And he certainly did have some.
- Heirloom Expo Bears New Seeds
- When John Valenzuela wrote an email about the 2011 National Heirloom Exposition to
fellow Golden Gate chapter members, he wasn’t trying to compose a story. But we saw it as
a perfect companion to the great photos of the event that we had been furnished by others.
- Pictorial: Fruit Shoot 2011 Winners
- Thanks to the CRFG Development Fund Committee we have four pages of gorgeous images
selected as winners in the 2011 Fruit Shoot photo contest. More specifically we owe
gratitude to these folks, led by Emory Walton, who devote quite a lot of time and effort to
serious consideration of all images submitted: Ed Hager, David & Karen Payton, Edgar &
Pat Valdivia, Bob & Kathy Vieth, Dick & Edith Watts and Virginia Walton, among others.
- Phoenix Pictorial: Festival of Fruit 2011
- Members who decided not to include the Arizona chapter’s 2011 Festival of Fruit on their
travel calendars certainly missed a heck of a great event. Of course it was a pomegranate
lover’s dream, but much more as well, as illustrated by the wealth of photos taken there.
- Poblano Boats Stuffed With Meat and Fresh Fruit
- Bev Alfeld gets an idea she doggedly pursues it. In this issue she illustrates the process she
went through after wondering whether stuffed poblano peppers might serve as suitable substitutes
for the bell peppers that everyone uses. Turns out they are great substitutes. Going a
little beyond the traditional spicy meat stuffing, she went and kicked it up another notch.
- News & Notices
CRFG Officers, Chapters and Services
- Ask The Experts—FUN FACTS FROM THE FESTIVAL
From Grove To Stove—AN ECLECTIC MIX
From The Editor
From the President
Jamming with Jamlady—FRUIT-MEAT POBLANO BOATS
The Marketplace—OPEN UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT
© Copyright 2012, California Rare Fruit Growers, Inc.
Questions or comments? Contact us.