Volume 46, No. 3 - May & June 2014
U.S. $7.50; Canada/Mexico Air $9.50; Foreign Air $10.50
Photo by Lindsay Gasik
- A Durian in Every Country
- Some readers may recall Lindsay Gasik’s article in the January & February issue, “Home Orchard Society’s All About Fruit Show.” In reading it those folks could hardly have known that this able young lady is a dedicated durian lover who has been deeply involved in a diligent search in and around Southeast Asia to find every possible representative of the genus Durio. There are currently about 30 recognized species, and the list of fruits in that tribe is no doubt still expanding, due in no small part to the efforts of folks like Lindsay and her husband Rob.
- Growing Haskap Commercially
- Our intrepid investigator Bev Alfeld, aka Jamlady, had been trying for some time to assemble a blockbuster article about novelty fruits for cold climates. But problems developed in obtaining information and material in a timely fashion from some of the contributors who agreed to provide it, so this effort has become a series that will appear in two or even three separate issues. In this introductory segment, Bev gives an overview of those fruits and the operations of an industrious honeyberry (or haskap – Lonicera caerulea) grower in Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Too Much Fruit? Never!
- Anyone paying any heed to Charles Portney’s increasing inventory of Fruit Gardener articles has recognized a few things about him: he is industrious, gives great attention to detail, is imaginative and resourceful, and perhaps most important, is a serious and very successful fruit grower. Those who know him personally can attest to that. So consider: when you have more fruit or vegetables than you need, what do you do with them? Read on and see what he did.
- News & Notices
- 2014 Fruit Shoot Contest Rules
CRFG Officers, Chapters and Services
- CRFG Kitchen—COTS, BERRIES & AVOS
Fruit Forum—IS OUR SERVICE CONCEPT LAGGING NOWADAYS
Jamming with Jamlady—COMMERCIAL HASKAP GROWING
© Copyright 2014, California Rare Fruit Growers, Inc.
Questions or comments? Contact us.