Volume 35, No. 5 - September/October 2003
U.S $5.00; Foreign Surface $6.00; Foreign Air $8.00
Photo by Takahisa Saito.
- Jamaica 's Blue Mountain Coffee
- Maurice Kong could easily be mistaken for a coffee company spokesperson, and there's no mistaking his genuine enthusiasm for Blue Mountain coffee. But Maurice does more here than talk up good coffee; he tells how to grow and process it.
- Fruits of the Mayan Descendants
- On one of his many “ruining” trips, Ben Poirier visited the Mayan ruins on the Yucatan peninsula. There he went snorkeling in limestone caverns, got to know a few local folks, and limbered up his camera long enough to give us a peek at native structures and how casually people there grow great rare fruit in their yards.
- Compost— As I See It and Understand It
- From his backyard in Phoenix , Dick Gross offers up some basics for creating and managing compost. This is simple but solid information gained from experience.
- Member Profile: Hawaiian Photography and Entrepreneurship
- Freelance writer Matt Binder's admiration for Ken Love shows in this account of how busy the man is simply doing what he relishes most: growing and promoting rare fruit in Hawaii . Ken also photographs fruit, and he excels at it. Read and see.
- Annona reticulata: Bullock's Heart/Custard Apple
- In another interesting short feature, Juan A. Rivero offers a look at a tropical an nonaceous fruit generally rated as the mediocre or “ugly duckling” of its kind. It is not often seen in any but the warmer and more humid North American climes.
- Casimiroa edulis: Searching for the Wilson White Sapote
- Shawn Hannon is a longtime white sapote aficionado who has become concerned about the possible demise of some white sapote cultivars. So he was excited when he and fellow CRFG member Ashok Tambwekar got an opportunity to visit the venerable white sapote groves of Richard McCain. This fruitful odyssey was a success.
- Fruit Briefs
- Annatto Bixa orelleana by Alfredo Chiri
- Caper Plant Capparis spinosa by Alfredo Chiri
- News & Notices
- Fruit News Flashes
- CRFG membership application
- CRFG membership card
- CRFG volunteer opportunities
- Organization contacts
- Roger Meyer Kiwi Pruning Demonstration
- Submission and advertising information
- Ask the Experts-KIWI, PAWPAW, SURINAM CHERRY
- Container Gardening-WINTER IN THE HINTERLANDS
- CRFG Kitchen-SUN-DRENCHED CITRUS
- Organic Gardening-THE SECRET LIFE OF FUNGI
- President's Message
- Seed Bank
- The Marketplace MERCHANDISE, CLASSIFIEDS
© Copyright 2003, California Rare Fruit Growers, Inc.
Questions or comments? Contact us.